Monday, February 26, 2007

iPhone and Multitouch

Some of you may have heard of Apple upcoming iPhone.
Like a lot of techies, I am exceedingly excited about it, although in all honesty I will wait until a model comes out with bigger capacity. I currently have an 80 Gig iPod, and it is quite close to being completely full. So switching to an 8 Gig iPhone would be exceedingly difficult for me.

That said, I came across this video: http://www.ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplayer.cfm?key=j_han

For those of you who never heard of TED, it's an annual conference about innovation in all fields. They post videos of their talks every week, and it is some truly fascinating stuff.
This particular video features a researcher from NYU demonstrating multitouch screen technology and it is mind-blowing.
And that was filmed almost two years ago...

So a few oddball ideas occur to me based on the following facts:
- during the macWorld keynote where Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone, he said it ran Os X.
- iPhone has been in development for more than two years
- the new version of Os X (10.5 Leopard) is due soon

Now it occurs to me that multitouch screen technology could be extremely handy in manipulating multimedia (retouching pictures, managing libraries of pics or music...) so the Mac would be an ideal platform on which such technologies would be actual added value, and not just eye-candy gimmicks.
Might it be possible that Os X Leopard will come with multitouch screen software built-in ?

Now, I'm not by a long shot the first one to raise that question. But most of the other writers who ask it, do so in the context of future hardware releases.

The question that is really burning me is: could the hardware currently available already have a multitouch-enabled monitor ? After all, Apple has been working on both multitouch and Leopard for a while... And Apple is renowned for being able to keep secrets under wraps...

So maybe, maybe, the Macbook I bought in January already has a touchscreen, just waiting for Os X Leopard to be installed and open a whole new desktop environment to me...

No comments: